Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Fan Fiction

I love the idea of fan fiction and the idea that it could possibly become a mass culture. Watching some of the Star Wars fan fiction films I was somewhat surprised that the creators were actually re-creating a setting that was EXTREMELY similar to the "real deal". The main problem I can see with this sort of creative leeching is that quite frankly, those who are participating in the production of fan fiction process are stealing ideas and creating them as their own. While this may be protected under the many variables within copyright infringement, I understand why the original creators could possibly be upset. For example, if someone creates a piece of fan fiction and the production quality is lacking this could give a bad name to the original creators. While it may be a unique concept...some people aren't able to discriminate between two pieces of media. If I were in George Lucas's shoes I wouldn't someone shooting a fan fiction film in Hi8 and proposing that it is test footage for Episode 7: Jedi FTW. 

The other aspect of fan fiction that I see is the idea of Rip and Remix culture. Ever since Com Tech I have become a complete fanboy of Girl Talk. While this doesn't relate to television, I feel that this is quite possibly more important and risqué than fan fiction. Basically, since it consists of content producer ripping sound files and remixing them to their satisfaction, it is actually using the hard copy of what was originally created. Not just the idea. This hard evidence could stand up in court in a greater way than simple fan fiction.

And now...BROKEBACK TO THE FUTURE!!!


No comments: