Saturday, April 12, 2008

Mass Market?


In all of the discussion of the mass market, I couldn't help but constantly question the idea of if a mass market actually exists. While it is impossible to flip on the TV and see the same commercials everywhere, there seems to be a select few that no matter what network you are watching, these commercials are invading our lives. The most successful advertising campaigns use television, internet, movies, and all other forms of technology to sell their product. At the risk of seeming like a complete fanboy, the Apple adds are almost like a plague on our society. It seems as though you cannot watch a day of television without seeing one "I'm a Mac" ad. However, these are not only on television but on internet popups as well. Now, the big question comes, what is the point of all of this and how does one determine if a particular advertisement is part of the mass market? Well the obvious answer is when a mass amount of people have seen an ad. When my mom is telling me about how thin a Macbook Air is, well clearly this form of marketing has spread to popular culture.

When does this all become too much? That question is somewhat hard to answer as it is nearly impossible for me to image flipping on the television and seeing and ad for Cherry Coke just because I am jonesin' for one. I somewhat have mixed feelings on this due to the fact that I would love to avoid seeing the god-damned Mazda Zoom-Zoom ads...but do I really want my thoughts broadcast to television networks? The hypothetical "what ifs?" get to be a little much to answer.

No comments: