Friday, May 9, 2008

Disintegration: Cable to Youtube Blog #7

So in this blog I am going to once again get bitchy about American society, and why not, it is so easy. Television is scared of the internet and I can see why. But mark my words, television or some futuristic form that is similar to television will always be around. There is no way to escape it. Right now television seems to have a relationship with the internet, only the internet is wearing the pants. The internet holds all the power, but the television is the pretty counterpart that is fun to look at. Anyway, it's great for fans to be able to go on-line and access material related to their favorite shows. It also allows them to connect with others that enjoy the same show, and to talk to other fans. But this idea of the intenet functioning as a valuable social and culture space I just don't agree with. I wish it could be, but let's just put it out there, the internet is a huge marketing ploy. The idea of personal tv and target marketing is the next step in our capitalistic society. This step worries me. I am just down right sick of it all. I don't want to be a consumer, I don't feel that I am a consumer. The only thing I ever spend money on is gas, food, rent, and bills. Why am I the target demographic? I don't need or want to have all this consumerism pushed in my face. It basically just makes me feel bad about my life, as if my life was insuperior. If I had my choice I would probably move into the mountains and get away from all these overbearing forces that make me feel like I need to buy to feel happy. Why not try feeling happy through something else. I obviously have no idea right now what I am trying to say and this blog makes no sense, but I will just say this, the meaning of life, at least mine, is not found in a prepackaged world picked out just for me.

No comments: