Friday, May 9, 2008

Quality TV Blog #8

So the entire semester we have been bouncing this idea around about quality television. What is quality tv? Who decides what can be called quality. I read Pieper's blog and I agree with her comments about your comments (Eply, that's you). Maybe you were right. Maybe I am being dupped by network executives. Maybe I do scoff at people who watch Rock of Love, Girls Next Door, basically any show on MTV, or the E channel for five hours a day because I feel more intelligent. But just because I am being marketed and sold to just like the cultural dopes who watch crappy tv doesn't mean I am going to change what I watch. I like what I like. Everything that is on tv is on there to do one thing and one thing alone, to make money. I am just happy that some of the shows offered on television do provide me with what I consider quality entertainment. I am not saying that Six Feet Under is any better than America's Next Top Model, oh wait, I am saying that. But why shouldn't I say that. I have a right to my own opinion. I believe that what most scholars consider quality tv is fundamentally better than other programming. It seems to dig deeper into the human experience and provides a better protrayal of human emotions and interactions. Not to mention the comedies that are considered quailty. It seems I like quality dramas because they dwell on personal experiences and feelings more. I like quality comedies because they use more refined techniques of story telling than the average one-liners. What it comes down to is this, whether or not I am being dupped dosen't matter. I am just glad that some of the people out there that are making television are making it in a way that appeals to me, even if I am to be sequestered as a high-cultured, academic, hipster wananbe.

No comments: