Tuesday, March 25, 2008

If TV Said To Do It...You Do It!

Every person has a favorite show or genre of shows that you find interesting and watch every week; like Epley says, “You schedule watching it into your life.” If you don’t please tell me what you do instead, because we live in Iowa and you tell me something other to do than watch TV that doesn’t consist of something stupid, illegal, or requires you to be 6’5.” My roommates got me hooked on Lost and Heroes this year and believe me I’ve spent time watching all the beginning seasons to keep updated. You basically have to! Both in the Janovich and Mittell reading they describe TV shows that seem more like moves, with in depth storylines and the ever so changing characters. You can’t sit down this coming Thursday and watch Lost and be like, “Oh, yeah I can totally understand this.” It’s similar to that fact that you can’t leave during a two in a half newly released movie for and hour and comeback understanding everything. If you like a show and want to be “apart of it,” then you’ll put aside things on that night or schedule your classes before it airs because you my friends have entered a cult without ever really knowing it…lol. I love how popular movies and TV shows get classified as cult classics…

CULT-
–noun

1

a particular system of religious worship, esp. with reference to its rites and ceremonies.

2.

an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, esp. as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.

3.

the object of such devotion.

4.

a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.

5.

Sociology. a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.

6.

a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader.

7.

the members of such a religion or sect.

8.

any system for treating human sickness that originated by a person usually claiming to have sole insight into the nature of disease, and that employs methods regarded as unorthodox or unscientific.

I don’t see how TV can be religious, but of the definitions they give some that seem accurate. My roommates and I are bound together with the idea that we can talk/relate to given comments or things referring to the particular show we all watch because we’re regular watchers. You wont find me at a Lost convention dressed up like Sawyer, and I don’t rock black Nikes and drink the punch…cult, or whatever you want to call it, I’m not going to quite watching just yet, especially if I still reside in Iowa.

No comments: