Thursday, March 27, 2008

Quality TV and Me!!!

I have to admit I felt a slight pain of realization/humility/disillusionment/abasement when Epley suggested that those of us who enjoy quality/cult television were merely being targeted as high-cultured, academic hipster wannabes, and that we are in all reality no better than the audiences who enjoy low-brow, lowest common denominator-catering television.

But after thinking about it... I decided that in a sense that parts of this idea may be true (certainly not in all cases) but I still will continue to honor artistic/creative merit and enjoy the same things I always have, and that I will use that new knowledge only to argue with those who think they have a better taste of "quality" than my own in regards to television. Actually the next day I think it was, one of my friends, who constantly must state his opinion about the quality, credibility, or mainstream vs. independently produced entertainment content, was sprouting his usual "people have no taste" or "I just have good taste" argument so I countered this time with a "your taste is relative" and "your simply being sold what people assume you will think is quality" kind of thing. While I do not totally buy into this new argument it was quite fun using it to belittle him by playing devil's advocate and maybe next time he'll think twice before making fun of me for watching How I Met Your Mother!!!

I recognize the "four ways to approach quality" and can see how they relate to the TV I watch. I would consider some of my favorite shows such as The Office, Arrested Development, 30 Rock and Lost (Lost has many quality qualities, but I'm still not sure if it entirely qualifies) to be in the "quality" category because they are all very distinct in their production and narrative and reward their niche audiences with self-referential humor and "in-jokes." It is very rewarding to "get it" and to recognize reoccurring jokes, gags, or plot lines.

The coolest thing happened to me at work the other day (well maybe not so cool but cool in the sense that nothing interesting actually happens at work to begin with) when a lady called and asked if we had any seasons of Lost for sale. Then she asked, "Well.. do you watch the show? Can I ask you some things?" She went on to ask me all about Danielle Russo's background, the purpose of the hatch, why the 'Others' had kidnapped Walt and why they want to have babies so badly, and my opinions on where the plot is leading. We talked for a good ten minutes, and she just kept saying "wow" and wished we could talk longer. I was like the "Lost wiki" in this woman's mind, and I have to admit it felt totally awesome and rewarding. I just felt it related so well to what we had talked about in class.

No comments: