Monday, March 24, 2008

Reactions to Videos Blog #4

As I sat through these mulitple examples of television from the past I spent a lot of time comparing them to their counterparts of the future. It seems like not too much has changed in fifty odd years. Let's start with the Today show. Unfortunately I have to admitt that I will tune into the Today show if I am in the vicinity of a television before the hour of 9 a.m. (After that it is of course Stewart and Colbert reruns and The Price is Right). The Today show has kept their same format all this time. They should definitely bring back the monkey though. I get a sense of what television was like back when daytime programming started to become important. It is centered around consumerism of course just like the rest of our lives should be, right? It is almost hilarious to watch all these different programs as a woman who grew up decades later. I mean, how naive can these women be? I LOVE to wait on my husband hand and foot and clean up after the five kids and make sure I still look hot at five p.m. when dinner is supposed to be on the table. But these were apparently what the standards were back then. I probably would have bought into the idea if I was born back then too. The funny thing is that things are still this way today. I mean, look at the coffee commercial in the "Queen for a Day" video. Although it looks pretty corny and gives me a sickening feeling in my stomach, it still closely resembles coffee commericials of today. I watch a Folgers commercial and I want to puke because their idea of a good life is so cliche. But I pretty much wanna puke whenever I watch any commercial that isn't cynical or comedic.

No comments: