Sunday, March 9, 2008

Inadvertent Villain

I feel a slight pain of annoyance every time a black comedian impersonates a white guy with a pre-pubescent, nasally, nerd voice. Whether or not I am allowed to express this as a feeling can be left up to anyone who would see it as something other than distaste for bad taste, but really it ought to be considered for more than that. In a way I have always seen the world in a racist manner. I should appropriately rephrase that to say that I have always seen television in a racist manner. I’m white, therefore I am very, very easily racist. A sense of humor about social struggles for gay and lesbian people or African Americans can be cool if you always support the claim that civil liberties just aren’t being upheld when the only portrayal that large communities of people get are stereotypes. Otherwise, I’m a racist and a bigot. I don’t support the people who are not only different than me, but also would need mine and others’ support if they are ever going to get an equal or maybe fair representation broadcasted. I don’t support them in anyway that would be considered real support. I attempt to sympathize. I wish they could have more programming oriented towards them, or even be included in a variety of situations and contexts. I even wish there were more black people and homosexual people writing for television and cinema. Still, it doesn’t mean I would tell other people that is right. I don’t get angry when I see black people portrayed as criminals or homosexuals portrayed as fairies or bikers. In a way, I’m more of a racist, a bigot, and a misogynist than I’ll ever have to account for because I am totally cool with television’s representation as is, I’m ok with the “balance” that it has, or at least my apathy would lead people to believe that is the case.

No comments: