Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Daytime = Lametime TV

Honestly one of the biggest problems I have with television today is all about the timing. Of course the program schedule was designed to make people with normal jobs happy to come home and watch "exciting" television and relax. I on the other hand only really have time to watch T.V. during the day. For the most part its like getting stuck with the reruns that the stations so happen to replay 5x a week at seemingly the same time everyday. If its not reruns its some stupid news show about the latest ficaso Lindsay Lohan has gotten herself into, or a dating show which has a predictable, written outcome. In turn I end up watching my favorite television shows on the internet instead and watching little television live on the actual T.V. set.
Another problem with it is the writing on some of the shows. Crime drama shows serve as a good example. I was told in my playscript class last semester that almost all crime drama shows follow the same outline. They give you a little taste of what happened and then lead in to questioning suspects. If you pay close attention, over half of the time this pattern will occur: while they question the suspect, randomly in some part of the questioning the suspect will go off on a tangent completely irrelevant to the questions they have been asked, most of the time leading to lengthy monologues about something that at the time seems like a time filler. This is because the writers are lacking the creativity/effort to work in the bizarre detail that in the end always ends up connecting them to the crime. Instead of thinking up a logical smooth transition, they throw it in with the rest of the script.
Thirdly, the commercials are getting ridiculous. I have short attention span so instead of staying and watching the commercials I honestly will either get up and do something else and fail to return/remember I was even watching the show, or change the channel and also forget that I was even watching a show. I really don’t need to see trailers of what’s going to happen next week on some other show every 10-15 minutes for the commercial break. If the show is good enough that I do stay for the commercial break it wastes so much of my time. Watching an hour long television show wastes approximately 18ish minutes of my time that I can never get back.

No comments: