Friday, January 18, 2008

Isn't Their a Show Like this on VH1? Oh wait, there is!

Alright, so I will be the first to admit that I enjoy SOME reality television. However, I do feel that the quantity of it is outrageous, and I don't see the point of having five shows with people living in a house and not getting along. Okay, I got it. We want to see the major hook-ups and break-ups and all the drama that the world has to offer...seven strangers...picked to live in a house...and end up drinking themselves into a coma before the show ends...sounds like a winner...put it on the air! But instead of putting one show like that on the air, we put seven different shows like that on the air, all with the same basic concept but with one difference. Maybe they are looking for love, maybe they are wanting that music contract with Diddy, cuz we all know that he was so five years ago....or maybe they just want to see hot girls get drunk pass out or hook up with some random that happens to be there roommate.
Alright, back to my point. I enjoy it because honestly, I think its funny. Its entertainment to me to see average people act like asses on national television. What gets me is the reunion shows where they all confess, " I didn't think I was that drunk..." well guess what, you were and now the whole country and maybe even the world knows that you hooked up with a random when your girlfriend was back at home and couldn't wait to see you.
Honestly I think what sucks about it, is the lack of creativity. Take the Real World, I think that was the first actual reality TV show....but I could be wrong, but lets just say it was. Now, I like the Real World, but what I don't like is when someone makes a knockoff and then another knockoff and another knockoff, and pretty soon, the whole world is consumed by reality TV. And I don't think that there is anything you can do to fix it, I think its only going to fix itself because I'm hoping that people will get sick and tired off it and stop watching it and the ratings will go down and some shows won't be on the air anymore, but I don't see that happening any time soon. Its like a domino effect in the opposite direction, and it seriously just ruins television.
All I want is for us to get it under control. One show of people living in a house of chaos, one show of people falling in love, one show of people singing and getting ridiculed, JUST ONE! NOT FIVE!

No comments: