Friday, January 25, 2008

Out with the old in with the new

As much as I try to make myself think that listening to the radio was interesting to everyone back in the day, I can't. I really don't see how it was possibly fun to sit next to a radio and listen to people's voices without ever being able to see them. Maybe I lack that great imagination that all the kids had back then, but I doubt that. I have a wonderful imagination but I need something visual in front of me to keep me entertained for a period of time. I think it just goes with the saying out with the old in with the new. No one would be able to find a group of kids who would be more then excited to sit next to a radio and listen to it all afternoon. That is just how it is today. Even in class just listening to all those clips from radio shows bored me to death. I just can't handle not seeing anything. I wanted to fall asleep. I don't think that radios are even used as much in cars anymore. I know that I hook my iPod into my car once I get in it. Most people I know have CD players or do the same with their iPod. I hope that the radio never goes away completely, but it can't count on being as loved as it once was. Here is my great example of why the radio isn't so sweet anymore. I worked at an ice cream shop all through high school starting my freshman year. When I first started there we had a radio that we listened to. That was it for the whole summer, just rocking out and making ice cream. The next year when I went back we had cable. WHOA I know...an ice cream shop that has cable...crazy...but ever since we got that first television down there with the cable it's like a sick addiction. One night it stormed and the roof leaked onto the TV and broke it. Could we go without television for a while? Nope of course not, my boss was out at the store that morning purchasing a new television. Now what happened to the radios you might wonder?! Well they are back in a room all dust and gross...sad story I know, but what I am saying is that television seems to be so much better that no one can resist dropping a radio like it's hot for a new TV.

No comments: