Saturday, January 19, 2008

Television today is full of some of the most trashiest shows I have seen in my whole life. Almost any "reality" show is far beyond what reality is for most people. I hate that every time I turn on my television set I find myself engulfed in shows like The Real Housewives of Orange County where one wife said the other day, "I have to have sex with my husband every night otherwise he won't be able to sell cars and do well in his business." That might be one of the most stupid things I have ever heard of. I mean honestly them having sex has nothing to do with him selling cars. Another thing that really bothers me with television is how it is a cult of celebrities. Everyday the news has something along the lines of Britney's latest crazy breakdown or who just got released from rehab. I can critique this all I want but I (and I am sure almost everyone else out there) still loves to watch it. It has nothing to do with our lives and really doesn't effect anything here in Iowa, but somehow we are still consumed with this celebrity obsessed news. And how about the lack of creativity that goes into making a television show. How many times do we have to watch New York and Flava Flav try to find someone to marry. It didn't work out the first three times, why would it now?! I think that the only good television is the twenty four hour news stations, which I love to watch. They usually contain good solid news stories, but some can stray back to the celebrities. Now I am not going to lie, I don't constantly watch news. I have to fit The Hills in there sometime. But that doesn't mean that I don't think that that is trash television, because it is. What can we do to fix this repetitive cycle of shitty television shows? I for one think that it might not be able to be fixed. I don't really see to many people complaining so there is probably no end in sight. I mean if it keeps the ratings rolling in then why try to stop it? Just because some people think that it sucks doesn't mean the other 3/4 of the population doesn't love it. And plus we all need to see someone more dysfunctional then us on television to continue to feel good about ourselves!

No comments: