Friday, January 18, 2008

I need a date...

So far I've seen a couple of posts about "reality" television. I put reality in quotations because I think it's debatable how much reality is found in these shows. However, I want to take it a step further: Reality Dating Shows. Recently, I've seen advertisements for such shows as Flavor of Love (I think they're up to season 3?) and Rock of Love with Bret Michaels (now on it's 2nd season). What is it that is appealing about these shows? Obviously, these particular shows have taken it a step further than the average reality dating elimination show that is with 'normal' contestants of sorts, and put the star of the show as a washed up celebrity. I don't mean to be inconsiderate of anyone who might enjoy these shows, but what is appealing about watching a bunch of women compete to have sex with a middle aged or older celebrity that has sold out to be on a dating show who will dump you 2 days after the show is over because they have resigned their contract with VH1 or whatever network it might be? That sounds like a bit of a rant, I'm sure. But, what I think we need on television is one, a storyline, and two, something to which we can relate. People do enjoy shows such as The Office because they have at one or more times in there life have had a boss that's made some ridiculous announcement. Or, they've thought about pulling a prank on a coworker. That almost seems more like reality than the shows we do see labeled as reality television. I don't know if there is one set thing we can do to "fix" television, because I think it could be a very complicated process, especially when you think about how popular television shows vary from the past just to today (i.e. Family Ties and Who's the Boss? vs. Scrubs and The Office). But, if there's one thing we could do, it's get rid of these damn dating shows.

No comments: