Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Bars and Television

I have to say that this weekend I experienced something that I doubt anyone else ever has....I watched the Disney Channel in a bar. Weird..yes, but also a great thing to have experienced since it relates to the reading of last week so well. My roommate and I decided to go visit my boyfriend at the bar he works at. This is a junk little hometown bar with mostly only the regulars there. The bar has two televisions at the opposite corners of the bar and they are usually both on but no one pays much attention to them. It was about ten at night when we got there and a few other people were there but not many. We sat down and ordered some drinks when a five year old came and sat next to us. Now I know you may be wondering what a five year old was doing in a smoky bar, let alone at ten at night. His parents were there drinking and he was just hanging out. (Is this giving you a good picture of a very nasty bar with dysfunctional people? Good.) I started talking to him and he asked me if we could change the channel to Disney because that's what he wanted to watch. We did and that was my first experience of the Disney Channel in a bar. I think that the significance of televisions in bars isn't very big. I am sure most of the bars I go to do have televisions, but I am usually concentrating on drinking or busting out my newest dance moves to notice. I believe that the only time a television actually plays a role in bars is if its the 1. Super Bowl, 2. World Series, or 3. A really great football game. I just don't know a lot of people that go to the bar just to watch television and drink beer. I mean it is so much cheaper to go buy a case of beer and drink it in front of your own television, I don't know why being a poor college student you would waste the money. Now if you could please disregard the fact that I am telling you about how I illegally drink in bars...that would be great!

No comments: