Saturday, February 16, 2008

I Broadcast in Blue


I don’t know if anyone else will know what I’m talking about, but way back in the day I got a TMNT sticker book for my birthday. It was essentially a comic book that you had to buy packs containing gum, a trading card, and a couple stickers, and then you could put those stickers in the book and eventually put the story to together (an ingenious product that created an endless cycle of buying those packs). I just did a web search and found that they did it for the new and not nearly as good TMNT series/movie.

Anyways, I bring this up because a couple of the stickers were very cool. These stickers essentially had two pictures on a single sticker, one printed in blue and one printed in red (I couldn’t find an example on the web, but I PSed the concept real quick-like). To look at them with one’s plain-old human eyeball, they would be very jumbled. But, when you looked at the picture first through a blue-tinted section of opaque plastic or cellophane and then through a red-tinted section of opaque plastic or cellophane, you would see two separate comics that progressed the story (if you looked at them in the right order). Very cool.
I bring this up because of the reification process pointed out by Sterne and Streeter. We’ve come to accept this rigidly segmented distribution of an incredibly fluid spectrum. It just made me wonder what possibilities exist for the ‘medium’ or ‘ether’ or ‘airwaves’ or any of the other names that have been given to the vast range of lightwaves we become aware of in these last hundred and fifty years. I can’t go deeper than that and also don’t feel the need to for an idea-based blog. It’s just that technologies seem to be consistently developed to improve our utilization of the spectrum space as we current understand it to be appropriate to do so. Cramming two images into the same frame by breaking them into separate blue and red spectrums is an efficient use of space, but it doesn’t allow for the full range of depth and detail that can be found in using both spectrums together to create one image. I know we’ve kindof utilized broader ranges of spectrum for television broadcast, but what else has been researched or developed that, while taking up more spectrum, allows for more depth and detail to be transmitted? That’s an actual question, if anyone knows/has an answer.

No comments: