Monday, February 25, 2008

Hegemony and the Public Opinion

The idea of hegemony being placed in the media isn't a new idea and has clearly been prevalent since the days of old. While studying the idea of hegemony and the ways it influences society in a non-threatening way is clearly necessary, I find myself craving more. So, I will call this piece "What I'd like to learn..."

I would like to learn how to beat hegemony. I Think that this is the most important thing to take out of this class. We learn all of these negative ideologies and how they are causing constant problems on society but, we do not learn how to beat these ideologies. I realize that not all hegemony is considered negative hegemony, we as a society must be able to differentiate between the two and create our own opinions based on our own ideas. 

This education should be incorporated into the high school curriculum and taught to students at an early age. During this time is when we create our opinions based on the ideas that we see from many outside sources. May it be the internet, the television, the radio, the newspaper, etc., society must be able to form their own opinions. 

This blog post essentially made me realize that I would like to further study hegemony and incorporate that into my final project. Possibly create some hegemonic propaganda...

No comments: