Friday, February 29, 2008

Vast Wastoids

I actually listened to Minnow's Wasteland Speech as I read along and it really got to me how this same speech could pretty much be read today in regards to current television. Take this quote for example:

"You will see a procession of game shows, formula comedies about totally unbelievable families, blood and thunder, mayhem, violence, sadism, murder, western bad men, western good men, private eyes, gangsters, more violence, and cartoons. And endlessly commercials -- many screaming, cajoling, and offending. And most of all, boredom. True, you'll see a few things you will enjoy. But they will be very, very few. And if you think I exaggerate, I only ask you to try it."
Just drop the words "western -- men" and "private eyes" and replace them with "good cop" "bad cop." And we would have to add "reality stars" to the list as well... not to mention about another laundry list of mindless/indecent material... but still this list is a pretty accurate way to describe what I have always seen and continue to see on television. Of course there are many ways in which this speech would not apply, especially since the FCC has little say of what goes on cable... and that regulation has changed so much for broadcast stations as well.

So why do networks insist on making programming this virtual see of crap... and why do we consent by tuning in? (mind you I am really commenting from one point of view and do realize that there are some prize gems in the big TV turd) I was having a discussion not too long ago with some friends about the general population's "desire" or "need" to consume things like violence and obscene content. Some of us pretty much decided that even the most intelligent of people just need the escape from reality. And that even if you realize how ridiculous or offensive the content is it can only lend itself to activate or engage the mind--whether you are indulging in some fantastic idea that could never occur or criticizing the content which is also engaging the mind... well this all sounds okay but we were all drinking at the time (another escape from reality) so maybe we were all just talking in circles.

I guess an example of what I am trying to say is that I do recognize I "waste" a lot of time watching television that in all honestly I think is crap--things like
Rock of Love (not the new season though, that's pushing it too far for my taste) or Bad Girls Club for instance--I'll even admit some of my favorite scripted shows like Lost and How I Met Your Mother contain tons of unnecessary or over the top filler crap. But I love to hate these shows--and that keeps me tuned in. I criticize the lame sound effects, story lines, editing choices, character development, etc. And in a way this helps me appreciate the finer parts of television... even if they are few and far between.

No comments: