Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Big Brother vs Dwight "Superman" Howard

So the idea of "liveness" comes back into play with what I watched this week on TV. I checked out the NBA All-Star festivities this weekend, and also been in tune with Big Brother 9. I usually don't watch reality TV, but a friend of mine from home is actually on the show so i'll make an exception. Liveness and sports doesn't really play a big role for me, I usually just catch a replay or watch the highlights on ESPN. However I think it plays a big role in reality TV. My roommates and I subscribe to Showtime and Starz, so we get the Big Brother After Dark from 11pm - 2am every night. Yes, every night it's Live from 11pm - 2am, so most of the time we know what's going to happen on the primetime episode before it happens. I also believe CBS offers 24/7 live coverage on the house for a monthly fee. So the question is, are we taking liveness a little too far? Do we really need to see what each person is doing 24 hours a day? I guess I don't care about the show that much. For me, the primetime episodes are enough, the After Dark special every night gets a bit tedious. I think it is a bit ridiculous that they have this much coverage on the show; part of its been ruined because I knew what was going to happen. Is it a possibility that other shows will do this? Could we see a Real World 24/7?

No comments: